City of San Carlos - Wildlife Issue

How Do I?


Home > ... > Report... > Wildlife Issue

How do I report a wildlife issue?
Check for more information on reporting wildlife issues.  Or call 888-334-2258.

Department of Fish and Wildlife:

What can I do to protect my home from rodents?
Many rodent problems can be addressed by making changes to your property so that rodents are discouraged from making their home there. Effective rodent control includes: 

1) Adopting practices that reduce the harborage, food and water sources available to rodents 

  • Close tightly trash cans and dumpsters, and keep the area clean of spillage
  • Keep areas clean of food and water that feed rodents
2) External and internal "rodent proofing" of buildings

  • Seal up all holes and openings into your home and attic
  • Remove thin dense planting areas where rodents can breed
  • Include plants in your garden that deter rodents. See the San Francisco Chronicle's "Flowers That Deter Animals"
3) Cleaning up messes associated with rodents

4) Trapping rodents when necessary

In some cases however, it may be necessary to seek the assistance of a pest control operator.

You can find detailed information regarding rodent prevention from the San Mateo County Mosquito & Vector Control District here.